EASTER is almost here but where can you buy the cheapest chocs?
The shops are crammed with deals and we've done the work for you to find the best value eggs.
The supermarkets all have their own range of Easter products, but you might be surprised to know that branded chocs can be cheaper.
In fact, we found prices for smaller Mars, Smarties and KitKat chocolate eggs start from 75p each.
Keep in mind these are small eggs, weighing between 119g and 141g – you’ll pay more if you want a bigger one.
In comparison, the cheapest supermarket own eggs start from £2.79 at Aldi and Lidl – although these are larger and weigh 200g.
How to cut the cost of your grocery shop
MONEY.CO.UK has shared some top tips with us to help you keep your supermarket spend down to a minimum.
- Write yourself a list – Only buy items that you need. If it isn't on your list, don't put it in the trolley
- Create a budget – Work out a weekly budget for your food shopping
- Never shop hungry – You are far more likely to buy more food if your tummy is rumbling
- Don't buy pre-chopped veggies or fruit – The extra they'll charge for chopping can be eye watering
- Use social media – Follow your favourite retailers to find out about the latest deals
- Be disloyal – You may want to go to different stores to find the best bargains
- Check the small print – It’s always worth checking the price per kg/lb/litre when comparing offers so you’re making a like for like decision as a bigger box won’t necessarily mean you get more
- Use your loyalty cards – Don’t be afraid to sign up to them all. They all work slightly differently – work out what bonus suits you better and remember to trade in your points for additional rewards
Again, you could also save money by going for smaller treats like little bags of chocolate eggs or bunnies.
For example, an 84g bag of chocolate eggs at Aldi cost 59p, or Morrisons shoppers can pick up a chocolate rabbit for £1.
Cheapest supermarket own Easter eggs
Aldi and Lidl are both cheapest for their own-brand Easter eggs, priced at £2.79 each.
They both weigh 200g as well, so there isn't really a difference when it comes to value for money.
- Aldi Dairyfine Easter egg 200g – £2.79
Flavours from Aldi include Eton mess, popping candy, toffee and honeycomb or cookies and cream.
- Lidl Mister Choc Easter egg 200g – £2.79
At Lidl you get a choice of three eggs including fudge, popping candy and mini eggs.
- Asda Egg-splosion Easter egg 200g – £3
Asda shoppers can pick up a milk chocolate caramel or white jazzie egg.
- Morrisons Inclusion Easter egg 200g – £4
This range from Morrisons includes two flavours – milk chocolate fudge and white chocolate with candy pieces.
- Sainsbury's Celebration Easter egg 210g – £4
The Celebration egg from Sainsbury's is made of white chocolate and a loaded centre of ruby cocoa beans and marshmallows.
- Tesco Milk and White Chocolate Egg Hunt box 475g – £5
Tesco doesn't have its own Easter egg as such this year, but it is selling this box of chocolate eggs that are ideal for an Easter hunt.
- M&S characters Easter egg 227g to 270g – £5
Choose from cute M&S characters like Colin the Caterpillar, Kylie the Koala or Percy Pig.
- Co-op Loaded Easter egg 200g – £5
Co-op has two flavours – a salted caramel pretzel egg and a golden honeycomb crunch chocolate.
- Waitrose Squiggle Easter egg 170 to 190g – £5.60
You can tuck into either white chocolate, caramel or orange eggs from Waitrose, with each featuring a squiggle design.
Cheapest branded Easter eggs
You can pick up an Easter egg from brands like Smarties, Mars and KitKat for just 75p in some supermarkets.
More expensive brands, like Thorntons and Lindt, cost around £4 to £6 when we checked prices today.
Keep in mind some of these eggs now unavailable online, meaning you'll need to try your luck in store.
- Smarties Easter egg 119g – 75p in Asda, 99p in Aldi (check in store) and Morrisons, or £1 in Tesco and Sainsbury's.
- Mars Easter egg 141g – 75p in Asda, 99p in Morrisons, or £1 in Tesco.
- KitKat Chunky Easter egg 129g – 75p in Asda, 99p in Aldi (check in store), or £1 in Tesco.
- Maltesers Easter egg 127g – 99p in Aldi (check in store) Asda and Morrisons, or £1.25 in Sainsbury's.
- Cadbury Creme Easter egg 138g – 99p in Aldi (check in store) Asda and Morrisons, £1 in Tesco or £1.25 in Sainsbury's.
- Thorntons Easter egg 151g – £2.50 in Iceland and direct from Thorntons, or £3 from Sainsbury's.
- Galaxy Enchanted Eggs Easter egg 234g – £2.79 in Lidl, £2.99 in Aldi (check in store), or £3 in Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco.
- Twix Easter egg 274g – £3 in Tesco.
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Easter egg 286g – £3.95 in Tesco for Clubcard holders (£5 normally), £3.99 in Lidl, or £4 in Sainsbury's.
- Lindt Easter egg 215g – £6 in Tesco and Sainsbury's, or £8 from Lindt.
We tested Easter eggs from supermarkets including Aldi, Tesco and M&S to see which ones are best.
Tesco has a new range of 28 exclusive Easter eggs including a Cadbury giant orange buttons one.
And here's what happened when we taste tested supermarket hot cross buns.
Source: Read Full Article