Spaghetti bolognese is a meat-based dish, based from a bolognese sauce. Originally the recipe comes from the Italian city of Bologna and is served with either tagliatelle or spaghetti.
Typically beef mince is used, mixed with vegetables, a tomato-based sauce and includes vegetables.
Spaghetti bolognese is one dish which families tend to have variations of, including specific vegetables or blending the mince and sauce down to make it fine as two examples of variations.
The warming dish also goes well with warm crusty bread, or garlic bread – there is a recipe for garlic bread below if you so choose.
If making spaghetti bolognese at home, the meat can be substituted with Quorn mince and vegetable stock to make a vegetarian option if needed.
Read More: Morrisons delivery box for Ramadan: Food box offering for 2020 Ramadan
- Scone recipe: How to make the Queen’s scones, from former royal chef
Spaghetti Bolognese recipe
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 chestnut mushrooms
- A small handful of pancetta cubes
- Beef mince (500g)
- 1 tbsp of tomato pure
- Chopped tomatoes (400g)
- Beef stock (200ml)
- 1 glass of red wine
- 4 tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce
- Dried spaghetti pasta (350g)
- A handful of Parmesan, grated
- A few sprigs of fresh basil, chopped
1. Fry the pancetta in a pan with some oil until it browns and crisps up.
2. Add the mince and brown.
3. Add the diced onion, carrot, celery, garlic and mushrooms, then stir well.
4. Coat everything in the pan with the tomato purée and cook for a few more minutes.
5. Add the glass of red wine and beef stock and let it bubble away until reduced by half.
How to make IKEA meatballs [RECIPE]
How to make shortbread – Mum shares easy 3-ingredient recipe [LATEST]
Idris Elba launches passionate plea for world leaders to help farmers [VIDEO]
- Mushroom sauce recipe: How to make a mushroom sauce
6. Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan along with the Worcestershire sauce.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
8. Boil a pan of salted water and add the pasta to cook for eight to 10 minutes.
9. Arrange the spaghetti on a plate and scoop the Bolognese over the top. Scatter over some chopped basil and parmesan, and serve with crusty bread or garlic bread, then enjoy.
How to make garlic bread
- 2 ciabatta loaves
- 140g butter, softened
- 4-6 garlic cloves, crushed
- handful parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Toast the crust side for two mins until really crispy.
Mix together butter, garlic and parsley in a bowl. Spread over the cut bread halves. Sprinkle over the Parmesan.
Just before serving place on a baking sheet, then cook under a hot grill for five minutes until toasty and lightly golden.
Let it cool for one minute before cutting into thick slices.
Source: Read Full Article