Mum and ex-partner jailed after newborn baby died with broken skull

A mum and her ex-partner have been jailed after her newborn baby died from horror injuries – including a broken skull.

Roxanne Davis, 30, and Samuel Davies, 24, were last month convicted of causing or allowing the death of three-week-old Stanley Davis.

And today, both Davis and Davies were each sentenced to 10 years behind bars at Winchester Crown Court in Hampshire.

The pair had been convicted following a five-week trial.

Little Stanley suffered a broken skull, brain haemorrhage and 41 fractures.

He died in hospital on March 28 last year – one week after being taken from the couple’s home in Gosport.

Davis, of Gosport, and her then-partner Davies, of Southampton, tested positive for cocaine and cannabis after the young child fell ill.

During her trial, Davis denied being a "coke head" but admitted having "a few lines" after her son’s birth.

Davies was Davis’ partner at the time but not the baby’s father, prosecutors said.

Both the defendants went on trial at Winchester Crown Court after being accused of causing or allowing the death of Stanley, who died of a skull fracture and brain haemorrhage.

The infant, who was admitted to Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, also suffered 32 fractures to his ribs and nine fractures to his arms and legs during three separate occasions, prosecutors added.

Police were called to the couple’s flat just 17 days before Stanley died. He was just a few days old and neighbours had reported hearing the pair shouting.

But Davies claimed to officers he had been arguing with a friend over some borrowed money.

Davis explained he had mental health problems and was not allowed to work.

The police officer was recording the exchange on his body camera.

The court previously heard: "There are other indications the defendants were arguing with each other and they had very little patience. Text messages between them show angry exchanges on both sides."

There were ‘quite common’ references to cannabis and cocaine use in the text exchanges, it was said.

And on March 20, Davies had phoned a doctor, saying: "I have serious mental health problems and I have been using a lot of cocaine to deal with it."

Within hours of that call, Stanley started to show symptoms consistent with a non-accidental brain injury arising from a skull fracture.

He was admitted to hospital on March 21 and both defendants tested positive for drugs the following day.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • 4 of 5 Stephen Lawrence suspects in jail
  • Met Office ‘danger to life’ warning
  • Mum lost 5st and her HAIR from buffet
  • Mystery man seen with missing backpacker

Source: Read Full Article