Massive fire breaks out at Tamworth hospital

A huge fire has broken out at a Staffordshire hospital, with smoke and flames billowing for miles.

Emergency crews have descended on the George Bryan Centre at the Sir Robert Peel Hospital in Mile Oak, Tamworth.

The centre gives medical treatment to people with mental health issues.

Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Service confirmed 10 fire engines are at the scene and described it as a "complicated situation".

Dramatic footage shows huge flames engulfing the roof of a building. It is not yet known if anyone has been hurt.

A witness at the scene, who did not wish to be named, told Mirror Online that a woman was earlier seen screaming in the road.

Are you at the scene or did you see what happened? Email [email protected]

 

The witness recalled: "I came home and my brother told me there was a fire at the hospital.

"I ran down there to see what was happening. The first thing I saw was that the fire was spreading through the roof.

"There were two fire engines when I first arrived at about 10 past 9 and no road block.

"It is now twenty five past 10, and there are around 15 fire engines at the scene. And a road block is in place.

"I was stood just near a set of traffic lights and I could still feel the heat from across the road."

They continued: "Before I arrived, some people at the scene said police had attended a woman who had been running in the road screaming.

"I saw the fire crews going into the back of the building, which is sort of U-shaped. But it looked like the fire was spreading from that direction.

"Ambulance are also in attendance, and forensics have set up a table here too.

"The fire completely spread through the roof, but it seems like fire crews are getting it under control. 

"They have blocked off the footpath and all the main roads in and out of the hospital with police tape."

Twitter users also expressed their shock at the blaze, with one user saying: "Not good news since they are facing cuts in recent months."

Another added: "Thoughts with all concerned. Hope no one hurt.

"Looks massive the fire. I did so much work to keep this service open with the trust. Very concerning and yet another fire in Tamworth."

The South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Trust did not want to comment on the incident.

A third shocked Twitter user said: "Thinking of everyone at Sir Robert Peel hospital tonight, hope everyone is safe and I am sure the emergency services yet again will serve our community well."

On the CQC website, the George Bryan Centre states that it specialises in "assessment or medical treatment for persons detained under the 1983 Act.

"Caring for people whose rights are restricted under the Mental Health Act.

"Dementia, Diagnostic and screening procedures, Mental health conditions, Treatment of disease, disorder or injury, Caring for adults under 65 yrs, Caring for adults over 65 yrs."

This story is developing.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • Kate stuns in BAFTAs gown
  • Two die in police chase crash
  • Libby Squire suspect faces other charges
  • Pictured: Boy beheaded in front of mum

Source: Read Full Article